Pennsylvania’s leading progressive tax and budget policy organization is looking for a Campaign Director to oversee a statewide campaign to ensure that all Pennsylvanians can thrive. For too long, we have let politicians who serve the interests of corporations and the rich divide us on the basis of what we look like, where we come from, where we worship, how much money we have or whether we are native-born or immigrants. Our campaign advocates for bold action from state lawmakers to keep our families safe during today’s emergency—and to build a stronger, healthier, and more just future.
The Pennsylvania Budget and Policy Center (PBPC) (www.krc-pbpc.org) is a non-partisan research and advocacy project based in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. We offer a dynamic environment where research, outreach and public education are put to work to improve the well-being of low- and middle-income Pennsylvanians. PBPC works on a broad range of issues, including state tax and budget issues, and public education, among others. PBPC is a project of the Keystone Research Center (KRC) (www.krc-pbpc.org), a non-partisan research organization that promotes a more prosperous and equitable economy. PBPC is also a member of the State Priorities Partnerships (SPP) coordinated by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.
The Campaign Director will be divided between the We The People-PA campaign (wethepeoplepa.org) and the Judicial Independence of PA (JIPPA) campaign (judicialindependencepa.org). The Campaign Director will also work on other important PBPC issues, including the state budget—advancing policies that would generate state tax revenue sufficient to fund human services and public schools adequately and equitably—health care policy, issues of the environment and policies to expand Pennsylvania’s middle class.
This is a full-time position based in Pennsylvania. KRC/PBPC has offices in Harrisburg and staff in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and other cities. Where the Campaign Director is based is negotiable but once the pandemic restrictions are lifted they will be expected to spend some time each month in Harrisburg. At present the KRC/PBPC staff is all working virtually.
- Assist in developing the political strategy for the campaign with a team of state leaders from diverse organizations;
- Be the first point of contact with coalition partners, both state and national;
- Organize and carryout earned media events, with the assistance of PBPC staff and coalition partners;
- Create and/or disseminate educational materials through different channels (social media, website, email, etc.)
- Draft press materials (releases, short memos, advisories, etc.)
- Work with education funding coalitions and partnerships to advance education policy goals;
- Maintain the We the People-PA website;
- Provide research and analysis to policymakers, press, campaign staff and partner organizations upon request;
- Write briefs, fact sheets and blog posts on PBPC policy issues;
- Represent PBPC, the We the People – PA campaign and JIPPA coalition at meetings and public events;
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate for the Campaign Director position possesses:
- 5-6 years of experience working on legislative issue advocacy or candidate campaigns:
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to convey technical information clearly to a range of audiences, both in writing and through public speaking;
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team, the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks, and the ability to complete assigned projects under time constraints;
- The capacity to develop and to maintain collaborative relationships with the array of individuals and organizations interested in PBPC policy areas;
- A bachelor’s degree in public policy, political science, sociology, law, or a related field or relevant experience equivalent to such a degree;
- A strong commitment to and understanding of the importance of racial justice and racial equity;
- A strong commitment to social and economic justice and to PBPC’s mission.
Salary Range: Competitive salary based on experience. KRC offers generous benefits, including 100% employer-paid health care, retirement benefit and generous leave and vacation policies. Salary range is $60,000-$75,000 depending on experience.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Campaign Director” or a hard copy to:
Pennsylvania Budget and Policy Center
412 North Third St.
Harrisburg, PA 17101
Attn: Campaign Director
The application deadline is May 15 or until the position is filled.
Equal employment opportunity and a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Keystone Research Center and Pennsylvania Budget and Policy Center where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.